Monday, April 11, 2011

The Best Red Velvet Cake in KL

Current verdict:
1. Nadia's cupcake - Moist and Lovely frosting!
2. The Daily Grind - They use butter and not cheese for the frosting - urgh! gorgeous cake though
3. Nadia's cake - Love frosting!

Dislike:
1. Whisk - Too sweet and definitely overrated!


*This is my personal review. I don't get paid giving the review. It's for my love for the food! :)

I'm in the midst of hunting for the best Red Velvet Cake in KL for quite some time now. I love my "jalan-jalan cari makan" moment with my hubby. It's wonderful to share delicious food experience with someone special! My mom came back from Ireland - stayed at my brother's house for 2 weeks. I've been craving for Red Velvet for quite awhile so I took the "oppportunity" to buy 1 whole cake of the red devil! As I read reviews over the net, many of them suggested to get the Red devil from The Daily Grind. Without thinking, I picked up the phone and ordered it! It cost me RM99.76 (plus tax)! Pretty darn expensive for a cake huh?! Argh! Never mind that. Regret later... Everyone was shocked by looking at the size of it. We didn't have party or anything. Just family affairs. It was HUGE! Not too bad for a RM99.76 cake! ;) I've tasted my first Red Velvet Cake baked my a dear friend of mine and I could still remember vividly of the cream cheese. It was sooo good! We ordered cupcakes from her and I enjoyed it to bits! I was hoping of getting the same effect from the cake. No. I hope for the better. Hehe! Well, now comes the review. The cake was good BUT it's not cream cheese. It's butter cream. The cake is still yummy but to me the icing is just not to that level. Maybe cuz I've had better? *duck* However,my sister loved it! So it depends to your own taste palate. Have it a try.. I think it cost about RM12 per slice.



The cake is huge!



Credits to heartofahunter.blogspot.com



A stunning photo of the Red Devil!



Credits to khkl.blogspot.com


4 comments:

  1. the reason why you weren't able to taste the cheese is because it's not made of cheese :)

    i've been to daily grind too, wanted to try the red velvet but i noticed the icing looked a lil too much like a normal butter cream icing, so i asked them. true enough it's just a butter cream icing.. not cream cheese. so i decided not to buy it!

    -julia rus

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried the red velvet at the daily grind. but i think the one at California pizza kitchen is way better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurmm.. such a let down kan Julia? Hopefully they change the frosting.. :)

    Hi Anon - Thanks for the input. Gotta try the one in CPK. Yahoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the one in Bangsar Telawi 3. Hummingbirds Coffee Bar. It's cream cheese and the cake is very moist. Not sweet too~

    ReplyDelete